Sunday, June 14, 2009

A New Pedagogy- Assignment

In this assignment we were supposed to go look at the author of our class textbook's blog and see if we agree or disagree with any of his arguments on the new teachings of the emerging technology and what all this means.
Okay, so he made this argument on one of his blogs that I totally agree with:
"It’s not the technology, we both agreed, as much as it is the shifts in transparency and privacy, and the emphasis on writing and creating that go along with putting yourself out there online. “It’s not about blogs,” he said “so much as it’s about human development.” I totally agree, but since our conversation I’ve been thinking about what the implications of that are, exactly. The Web and the social connections and learning it affords is moving us, I think, to a different type of consciousness, a different way of being in the world." In this statement he's saying when we are putting ourselves out there on the Web, we're moving and expanding our creative and intellectual ability, in reality we are making ourselves better.

Another blog he did, totally blew my mind.

On My Mind 08 Jun 2009 02:04 pm
The Future of My Kids’ Work
So in case you don’t know it, I’ve got kids. They’ll be 12 and 10 this summer (omg) which makes me perk up when I run across magazine covers like this one from Time last week titled “The Future of Work.”
Throw away the briefcase: you’re not going to the office. You can kiss your benefits goodbye too. And your new boss won’t look much like your old one. There’s no longer a ladder, and you may never get to retire, but there’s a world of opportunity if you figure out a new path.
Welcome to my world. Seems I’ve stepped right into the future. What catches me, however, is that while I could never imagine making the shift back to the life I once knew (or some semblance of it), when I think of my kids, that description of their futures makes me shudder. Ironic, isn’t it?

Inside, Time says:
We will see a more flexible, more freelance, more collaborative and far less secure work world. It will be run by a generation with new values–and women will increasingly be at the controls.

Which would seem to me to suggest that we need to create a more flexible, more freelance, more collaborative learning experience for my kids, right? If as the article states fully 40% of the US workforce is predicted to be independent contractors by 2019, shouldn’t we be rethinking what it means to prepare them for that?

What I want for my kids regardless of what school they are in is to be able to pursue their passion, to be problem solvers in the face of adversity, to be provided a different picture of their own working futures in light of this huge shift that’s taking place. Yet I wonder how many classrooms discussed that Time issue (or any other different visions) even in passing. And while I know Time’s vision may not come to fruition, I have little doubt that’s the way things are trending. Doesn’t feel like we’re doing much about it”

So what if this comes to pass? Is it really so bad if the future is less structured and more free-flowing? And so what if women will succeed more? Isn't that what the Woman's Rights Movement was all about? I thought we got past all that, but I guess I was living in a dream world. That blog just really irritated the heck out of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment