Monday, June 22, 2009

Thoughts on Wiki

So in this blog we're supposed to be talking about Wiki's and how we could use it in our classroom lives. Well, first off I'd like to say Wiki isn't for me. I've tried for two hours just trying to create my own, which was really freaking hard.
I always thought I was really great with technology and was up to date on all things internet wise, but apparently not because Wiki knocked me over to the ground real fast.

The wiki I created couldn't really be used in the class because it's mostly personal. If the people wanted to get to know me more, I guess that they could take a look and seen all the places I've gone. But in all I wouldn't use Wiki in the classroom. Some of us are just not into all that creating your own space on the internet. Look at me, the only places I can say are really mine is this blog right here, and the others I've created on this site. Otherthan, myspace, or facebook pages that I created thats all that really is mine on the internet. Why do you need more? What really is the point to a Wiki? Granted, I use Wikipedia all the time, to get info on things I didn't know. That site gave me a deeper understanding on how hard it must have been to create all those Wiki's embedded into Wikipedia. I couldn't even stand creating one Wiki. Imagine trying to create over a hundred of them.

If I was to create a Wiki for the classroom I was teaching my purpose would be to get the children engaged in what I was teaching. I would make the post comments on that Wiki, and maybe add a little info on what they've learned on the subject I'm teaching that isn't on the Wiki I created. I would expect my students to contribute their ideas on the subject that the Wiki is on, and actually edit and maybe display their thoughts on there too.

No comments:

Post a Comment